Travels with S/Y Thetis

Thetis only

Thetis 2017: Excursions in Samos

This web page contains the logs of 3 excursions with S/Y Thetis in the island of Samos: a single day excursion to Klima, with my wife, daughters, and grandchildren; a 2 day excursion to Mikri Lakka to observe the full moon; and another single day excursion to Mikri Lakka. The rest of the time Thetis stayed in Samos Marina.

The logs include either some historical and geographical descriptions of the places visited or links to these descriptions. Also included are links to other related web sites.

Routes in Samos
Route in Samos

Sunday June 4 to Thursday June 22, 2017

Thetis spent this time in the marina while we had a full house in Kalami. First, our youngest daughter Corinna came with our grandsons Rohan and Leander, then a few day later, our oldest daughter Cynthia came from Australia with our oldest grandson Alexander.

Friday June 23, 2017

Today we decided to take a day excursion with Thetis and entertain the grand children. It took Cynthia 2 trips with the rented car to get us all to the marina. The first trip took Alice and me to prepare the boat while Cynthia drove back to Kalami and brought Corinna and the kids.

We cast off and left the marina at 1030 and headed to nearby Klima (Κλήμα) [37° 42.5' N 027° 02.6' E] 4.8 M away. While under power we put up the tent. We arrived at 1140 and anchored in 6 m depth over sand letting out 40 m of scope.

The kids had great fun swimming and taking rides with the dinghy. Rohan declared that this was the best day of his life!

In the afternoon we covered and raised the dinghy. We started on our way back at 1820 and by 1940, after 4.1 M, we were moored in the marina. While Cynthia drove everyone else back to our house in Kalami, Alice helped me secure the boat for a long stay in the marina.

Rohan underwater
Rohan swimming underwater

Saturday June 24 to Sunday July 9, 2017

While Thetis was in the marina, and our daughters and grandchildren were staying in Kalami, Alice and I flew to Tel Aviv to attend Benjamin Glass’ wedding. Ben is the son of Alice’s sister Eleanor. It was an interesting trip but at the same time we were missing precious time with our children and grandchildren.


The Holy-Sepulchre


The Walling Wall

On July 2 Cynthia, Corinna, Alexander, Rohan, and Leander left Samos to spent few days with my brother Byron in Tzia. Then they all flew to their respective homes in Brisbane, Ausralia and Jackson, Wyoming.

Monday July 10, 2017, Day 1

Alice and I took an overnight excursion to an anchorage so that we could watch the rise of the one day old full moon over Anatolia. We drove to the marina and and departed at 0945.

There was some wind, about 25 knots, and being optimistic I opened part of the headsail and turned off the engine. We did sail for about 15 minutes after which the wind died and we had to motor the rest of the way. I put up the tent. After 10.5 M we arrived in Mikri Lakka (Μικρή Λάκκα) [37° 45.459' N 027° 01.654' E] at 1150.

Our first attempt to anchor was not succesful but the second in 5 m depth with 40 m of chain was. Thetis settled in about 11 m depth.

We swam, had lunch, swam again, and all together had a very nice afternoon. For dinner we made pasta with tuna and garlic. It was very good.

Around 9:30 PM the moon started to rise over the mountains of Anatolia. It was a fantastic red circle. After it cleared the mountains it illuminated the sea between the Turkish coast and Samos.

Tueday July 11, 2017, Day 2

After we got up we prepared for our return to the marina. I covered the dinghy and raised it on its davits.

We departed Mikri Lakka at 0745 and as there was no wind motored the 9 M to the marina, arriving at 0910.

Wednesday July 12 to Sunday July 16, 2017

Thetis spent this time in the marina.

Monday July 17, 2017

Today we took a day excursion. Other then Alice and myself we had with us Vanessa Vourliotis. Yesterday there was a terrible fire at the garbage dump across the bay from Kalami. There was a lot of thick smoke. The fire continued to burn through the night and this morning as fire fighting airplanes were damping sea water over the fire and in the deep ravines where it had also spread. Although we were planning to go to Samiopoula we decided to go east instead to avoid the smoke.

We left the marina at 0910. The wind was anywhere between 5 and 15 knots mostly from the WNW. We motored for 9.8 M to Mikri Lakka [37° 45.459' N 027° 01.654' E], arriving at 1045.

We swam a lot and had lunch. In the afternoon I covered and raised the dinghy. We departed at 1817 and motored again back to the marina arriving at 1950 after 9.4 M.

Tuesday July 18 to Monday July 24, 2017

While Thetis was in the marina Alice and I stayed in Kalami.