Travels with S/Y Thetis

Thetis only

Thetis 2017: An Excursion in Samos

This web page contains the logs of a 2 day excursion to Mikri Lakka, in the island of Samos, to observe the full moon. The rest of the time Thetis stayed in Samos Marina.

The logs include either some historical and geographical descriptions of the places visited or links to these descriptions. Also included are links to other related web sites.

Routes in Samos
Route in Samos

Wednesday August 23 - Tuesday September 5, 2017

Thetis was in the Samos Marina while we had a full house in Kalami. During these days I ordered from the Suzuki dealership in Samos and got a new propeller for the dinghy outboard.

Wednesday September 6, 2017, Day 1

Alice and and I took a 2 day excursion with Thetis to Mikri Lakka to see the rise of the full moon.

Yesterday I went to the marina, washed down the boat and vacuumed her cabins. Today we left Kalami early and went back, carrying supplies for the excursion.

We got Thetis ready and departed the marina at 1012. The wind was 15 - 20 knots NNW and we were able to open 50% of the headsail and sail for over one hour. Then the wind died out and we motored the rest of the 9.4 M to Mikri Lakka (Μικρή Λάκκα) [37° 45.459' N 027° 01.654' E] where we arrived at 1155.

We anchored in 5.5 m and let out 35 m of scope. I then lowered the dinghy and removed its cover. I put up the tent and then snorkeled to check the anchor. It had dragged while I was reversing to set it. We re-anchored in 5 m with 40 m scope. After snorkeling again I verified that the anchor was well set.

Around 5:30 I removed the tent and we later had an ouzo. The rise of the full moon was at 8:10. It was magnificent, well worth the trouble of coming here to see it.

For dinner we had pasta with home made tomato sauce that we had brought from Kalami. It was a quiet and peaceful night.

Thursday September 7, 2017, Day 2

We spent the day here in Mikri Lakka.

In the morning I took the dinghy ashore together with the new outboard propeller and some tools. After dragging the dinghy on the beach I removed the old damaged propeller and replaced it with the new one. Back in the water it worked very well and there was no slipping. Also I had ordered a new outboard tiller extension from Amazon that Alice brought with her from Washington, D.C. I now tried it and was able to drive the outboard sitting at the bow of the dinghy. With this weight distribution even with the 4 HP outboard the dinghy did plane. I was very pleased.

We had a pleasant time during the day, reading and swimming. In the late afternoon, I covered and raised the dinghy on its davits so that we could leave early in the morning.

Again the moon rise was spectacular.

Friday September 8, 2017, Day 3

We got up fairly early and by 0800 we were on our way back to the marina. There was hardly any wind, just 3 - 8 knots from the E. We motored. After 8.9 M we arrived, the time was 0925. We were unable to raise either on the VHF or by phone any of the marina’s stuff, although they are supposed to be there at 9 AM.

We had some difficulty mooring Thetis without any help. The mooring line that Alice caught with the hook was completely tangled with another line. As a result Thetis drifted and touched the adjacent S/Y Ricky, fortunately the fenders prevented any damage. In the mean time, our friends Bob and Ann from M/Y Voyager came to our help. With some difficulty we shorted out the mooring lines and secured Thetis. All this time there was no marina staff in sight.

Saturday September 9 to Monday September 25, 2017

Thetis was in Samos Marina.

On September 20, 2017 our Kalami caretaker Yiorgos’ mother died. Her funeral was the next day. It was a simple but moving afair.

On Sunday September 24 Alice and I came to the marina with supplies for my trip to Leros and most of my luggage for my return trip to Washington, D.C.